Many of us compare ourselves to others and forget to appreciate what we have, we find ourselves caught in a cycle of unhappiness. When we constantly compare ourselves to others, we waste precious energy focusing on other people’s lives rather than our own. In life, there will always be people with more or less than we have.
Comparison often result in resentment. Resentment towards others and towards ourselves. Comparison deprive us of our joy. Some people live most of their lives comparing to others. It can start with school, sports, and move on to job title, income level, the car they drive, the House they live in, and other worldly success. When you begin down that road ,you seem to never find an end. This is an experience alot of us face today. We compare ourselves to others because of fear and insecurity. We fear, if people really know our true identity, they would look at you different. They would look at you as a person with low self esteem. When you become aware of your state in life you focus on your shortcomings and become bitter.
Bitterness causes us to find faults with people where we explain why they simply dont deserve whatever they have. We start gaining strong feelings that we think we deserve more than they, this can lead us to fear that we will never be good enough, or that we simply deserve what the other person has. When bitterness takes root, anger builds up. Our thought starts to gravitate to an idea that we are never good enough so we might as well give up in life. With this type of thinking, we never get promoted, we never live healthy, we never have a joy filled family life. With bitterness as the core of your existence, there can be No Happiness at all. Life would seem like a waste , your passion dies slowly and you die muttering “WHAT IF”.
No good thing can be measured. Your life nor your success, your value is unique to you and it has a purpose in the world. You lose more than you gain when you compare, especially your pride, your drive, your passion. You can control one life and that is yours, but when we focus on others we waste precious energy focusing on other people lives than our own. We are not born with the desire of comparison, it is definitely not a gift from God. As a child, we were happy to be who we are and we loved our uniqueness, but as we grew older the comparison started. The roots of comparison and competition are stored in the minds of the modern day child. Gradually it becomes their nature and comparing becomes a natural thing when they meet someone.
Athletes whondo things that are incredible and unbelievable, like breaking a record, are hard workers, they never give up. They get up earlier than you and I to train a little longer or maybe study if they are in school. So instead of comparing get up and move into action. Say to yourself, my family deserves more, my community deserves more. I choose to not be satisfied with who I am today because i know that my future self is better. Do not be content to stay the way you are, get up in the morning , face the mirror and say to yourself, I am worth doing something good today to make my life more joyful. I have Purpose and i will use it.
Focus on your path do not look at the sides it would keep you side-tracked. Stop looking at what other people have and focus on what you can accomplish. Change your perspective. Here are some ways you can start changing your thinking of comparing.
- We do not grow beautiful flowers by watching our neighbours garden. We plant and nurture our own, spend the time caring for yours.
- Your life may not be as you planned it out or how you wanted it to be, you might have encounter anxiety, fear, mistakes. But that was for you to become a better, stronger and wiser individual. There are people who have not gone through, what you have been through, so they would not value what they have as you would value your accomplishments. Be proud of yourself.
- Social media can be good, but at times it could frustrate you and triggers comparison feelings. So moderate your time you spend on it.
- If you are not happy at this moment, keep trying, never give up. Your life would get better. What matters now is your mindset and attitude. Focus on where you are going.
- Be grateful for what you have, thank God for your small mercies, your small beginnings, remind yourself how blessed you are and how gratefull you are. Focus on what you have and not what you don’t have.
- Make sure love is the foundation for your choices. Start on track, cancel fears from your mind and heart.
- No one is perfect, we all fall short somewhere, trying to be perfect is not a solution. Accept your mistakes and move on.
- Do not listen to the mean voices in your head, think positive thoughts always. What helps is inspirational songs, inspirational speakers, reading the word of God, praying, spending time with God.
- Start comparing yourself with you, not someone else. What you need to improve on? How can you be a better individual? Compare yourself to yourself.
- Be positive, tell yourself you can don it. If you try and fail, try again. Keep your past as your past, look forward to the blessings God has in store for you. Keep hope in your heart, walk by faith with God.
Your energy should be used for believing in yourself, not putting doubtful thoughts in your minds and hearts. You should start creating new exciting ideas to live by, destroy the old thoughts. Your focus should be on you, and your path of life, when you find yourself, help others find themselves also. Someone always needs help to come out of the dark hole that they are hiding in. When you watch someone who is fantastic at what they do, it should be inspiring to you. The person who doest compare their life to others and who is grateful for what they have…. IS THE HAPPIEST PERSON IN THE WORLD!
Galatians 6:4-5 : Each of you must examine your own actions. Then you can be proud of your own accomplishments without comparing yourself to others. Assume your own responsibility.
😇Milz- Be grateful for your blessings. If you find interest in the article, like share.